Getting married abroad is the dream of many couples and stunning greek islands are a firm favourite with brits. 

However, the additional stress of travelling, transportation, and marriage licensing can be a tad overwhelming and there are lots to consider when saying I do in the sunshine. With a little expert insight, preparing to get married in Greece can still be a joyful procedure.

Topaz waters and stunning backdrops aside, Greece has a comfortingly significant amount of wedding planners and is blessed with thousands of picture-perfect venues.  Sea, sunsets and plenty of talented professionals make for nuptial bliss in Greece and such suppliers can help you plan your special day meticulously and answer any questions about paperwork and legal requirements.


The Most Popular Destination


It shouldn’t come as much of a surprise that getting married outdoors is the preferred choice in Greece so do check the local monthly temperature before you do commit.

Santorini is currently the most popular wedding destination amongst the Greek islands due to its breathtaking views and sophisticated touches. With a reputation as one of the most romantic destinations worldwide, Santorini’s traditional blue & white Cycladic architecture looks flawless in wedding photography. 

For religious ceremonies, rustic churches are as plentiful as luxury resorts and couples from almost all over the world have the right to get legally married in Greece. The paperwork required is differentiated in the case of a civil wedding or religious wedding. 

In order to get married in Santorini in a civil ceremony a couple will need the following certificates. 


FULL birth certificate of the bride and groom,

Certificate of no impediment to marriage or marriage license or capacity to marry of the bride and groom,

Divorce / adoption / change of name certificates where applied,

Passports of the bride and groom.


In addition, the above documents will need to be legalized for use abroad and be officially translated by a certified translator. The official translation can take place in Greece or abroad, depending on whether your wedding planning provides the official translations or not.


Do take note that the paperwork procedure lasts from 6 to 10 months and will depend on the expiration of the certificate of no impediment to marriage or marriage license or capacity to marry of the bride and groom, which is different in every country.


If you should opt for a religious ceremony, you are permitted to have a legal Orthodox wedding in certain instances (for example the bride or the groom or both need to be baptized Orthodox; in case one of them is not Orthodox, they need to present a Public Notary’s act where they state that their children will be baptized in an Orthodox Church; the witness “koubaros” needs to be either single either married in church etc.). The paperwork can be slightly differentiated from region to region, but in general more certificates than the civil wedding are required and these are:


Certificates of No Impediment to marriage from the Municipality where the applicant is registered,

Certificates of No Previous Marriage officially certified by the Archbishop of the area of residence,

Full birth certificates from your local registry (Certified copies including the names of the parents; shorter versions will not be accepted),

Family Status Certificates from your local registry,

Baptism registration act/certificate,

If either the bride or the groom is not baptized a Christian Orthodox, a Public Notary’s act is required where it is stated that the children will be baptized Christian Orthodox,

Copies of the Passports,

Divorce certificate (if any, from Civil and Church Authorities),


Symbolic Ceremonies


Family Status Certificate for the best man (koubaros) from the Municipality where he is registered; in case the best man has been married with a civil wedding or has stipulated a civil partnership, he will not be accepted by the church as best man.

Another popular choice amongst british couples is to be married symbolically. Should this be the case, there is no need to bring or present any paperwork. If you are a same sex couple you cannot legally be married in Greece at present but a symbolic ceremony is an alternative option.

Leave a Reply